Sunday, June 14, 2009

Philippe Home of the Original French Dipped Sandwich

  If you love french dipped sandwiches what you are used to being served is a Roast Beef on a roll and you do the dipping. That's not the way it is done. 
  You ask or ax me how do I know? Well. this is how I know.
   If you are a Los Angeles Dodger Fan like I am. You know where to eat around the stadium. 
  Oh sure. I have my Dodger Dog at the stadium. But before I pay my $15.00 for parking my car. I hit Philippe The Original. Home of the french dipped sandwich.
Philippe's was established in 1908 by Philippe Maathieu. One day in 1918 while making a sandwich for a Los Angeles Policeman Philippe drop the roll in the roasting pan filled with the juice still hot from the oven. The policeman said he would take the sandwich anyway and returned the next day with some friends asking for more dipped sandwiches.

  There is a long display counter with 10 servers Philippe's call "Carvers". Each Carver has everything she needs to fix your whole meal. All served on plates made of paper to make serves fast.
   The French Dipped is the specialty of the house and consists of either roast beef, roast pork, turkey, ham or my favorite leg of lamb served on a french roll. The Carver does the dipping. You can ask or ax for your roll to be double or even triple dipped but don't ask for a side of dipping gravy, it just won't happen.
  Philippe's has some of the best sides. The best coleslaw, homemade macaroni and potato salads. They prepare and serve almost 300 lbs of pigs feet a week.  

  Oh man! Philippe's has its own hot mustard, Twice a week they prepare about 40 gallon. Add this mustard to your sandwich and it doesn't get any better.
  Beef stew is prepared fresh daily. Their homemade chili and soups are the best.
  Lemonade, iced tea, milk, mineral water, sodas in the can, beer cheaper than at the stadium and wine by the glass. A cup of coffee cost a dime. Up until 1977 it was only a nickel.


  Deserts, now why wouldn't this place have some of the best deserts? Baked apples, a large variety of cream and fruit pies, ice cream, New York style cheesecake, custard, fresh fruit and my favorite tapioca.
  In 1951 Philippe's was force to move from its original location on Aliso Street, to make way for the 101 freeway, to its present location on North Alameda Street. 
  In the 100 years not alot has changed at Philippe's. The Carvers prepare your meal at one of the 10 spots at the display counter. I don't think I have every been there when there is short lines. But the Carvers are quick and well worth the wait. 
  It's family style seating with long wooden tables and stools, there are a few booth. Sawdust on the floor, old wooden phone booths with dial pay phones. People from all walks of life are in the dinning area. I've even seen a few actors there.
  The walls has old press clippings, beer and soft drink neon signs.  
  Its old style candy counter sits at the main enterance. You can pick up a jar of Philippe's hot mustard to take home with you. 
  The address is 1001 North Alameda Street it on the corner of Ord Street and North Alameda.
Take the I-5 south past Stadium Way to the Main Street off ramp (south of the I-5/I-10 interchange) turn right on Main Street to North Alameda Street. Turn right on Ord Street you can't miss the parking lot. You're there. Enjoy! 


No comments: