Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Steve Alvidrez













On Saturday, June 18 about 2pm I received a text message from my buddy Brent Bennett. Childhood friends, Steve Alvidrez and his wife Ramona had been in an accident the night before. Steve
died and Mo was taken to the hospital with moderate injuries.
They were riding on their 2009 Harley Davidson. A car ran into the back causing the bike to flip. The car and the driver left the scene.




Steve and I go way back. During the summer in the late 1960's the city parks would have games like Caroms, checkers along with crafts. We all hung out at Saunders Parks on Palm Street and Oak Street. The park also had a pool.
If we weren't at the pool we were at the rec area or on the ball field playing a pick up game of baseball or work-ups.
Steve is a couple of years younger than me. He went to Harris School. I went to Roosevelt School. He then went to Curran Jr. High I went to Emerson Jr. High. Curran is were Mo and Steve met.
Saunder Park was where a lot of the kids from William Penn, Harris and Roosevelt Schools would go.
Steve always had a big smile. Ha was good at every sport. When making up teams he would be one of the first picked. Mo was two years Behind me in school. Her Family live in the neighborhood and we all went to Roosevelt. Her dad Simon was a barber and own a shop in the neighborhood
Steve comes from a big family. His parent Val and Charlotte are two of the greatest people. Steve has three brothers and two sisters. All of them have that Alvidrez smile. Athletic is a very important part of their life.

On Veterans Day last November I had taken my kids to the parade. After, I took them to Pizzaville. As we got out of the car a man and a woman pulled up on a bike. It didn't take long to see who it was? Steve and Mo, both with a smile. We went in ordered pizza he said lets sit over here. He started to put table together then I remembered when you eat with any Alvidrez you eat with them all. In no time their daughter Kristin was there. Both sisters Valerie and Patricia and their kids. Then Val and Charlotte. We talked about "back when" and "right now".
I told Steve we need to ride together. I said he and Mo should join my wife and I and the others on Labor Day ride to Cambria. Pizza with the Alvidrez's made it a great day.
About 3 weeks ago I got a text from Steve it read "how about a Pizzaville night?" I put "sounds good."



Steve leaves his wife Ramona (Mo), son Steven, daughter Kristin. His Mom and Dad, sisters and their families. His brothers David, Gary and Philip (who I coached in JBA) and their families. His in-laws Simon and Beda, brother-in-law Tim, sister-in-laws Elizabeth and Monica and their families. His sister-in-law Julie preceded him in death. He also leave a very big extend family. A lot of friends and one guy that want to get a ride in with him and another Pizzaville pizza.
Services were Wednesday, June 29, 2011. A Rosary was the night before, both at St. Francis Church here in Bakersfield. Another childhood friend of Steve, Mo, and myself Monsignor Craig Harrison Officiated the Mass of Christian Burial.
"Ride Free Brother" - Steve's Obituary www.bakersfield.com/obits














"Life is too short...have fun"
Steven V. Alvidrez
His Facebook Page
"This (Steve's death) didn't have to happen"-Monsignor Craig Harrison
Pictures were downloaded from Steve's facebook page. the last one was from his son Steven page.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Any loss is sad, but one this close is worse. Condolences to you, the Alvidrez Family and Steven’s friends. May Steven ride in peace.

Lumpy

Steve's little sister said...

Thank you Jim. And I remember that pizzaville day after the parade. Good Times!! Thanks for putting a little smile on my face today. I forever love my brother. Ride Safe, Ride Big!

Always & forever Steve's little sister,
Valerie